Today, Rollators are extremely popular. A Rollator is basically a walker with either three wheels or four wheels, with the four wheel model being the more popular of the two. Within recent years, Rollators have become the walker of choice because they are much easier to maneuver than a standard aluminum walker. In addition, Rollators, unlike standard aluminum walkers, need only be pushed rather than having to be lifted with each step taken. Rollators are trouble-free to use and incredibly easy to navigate when walking over grass or uneven surfaces, and best-of-all, their design allows them to be used indoors with ease. Rollators are equipped with hand brakes, which permit the operator to regulate the forward motion with ease and safety. They are constructed of light weight metals, which allows for effortless mobility. Their light weight also makes them easy to lift and place in the trunk or back seat of an automobile. A Rollator may be equipped with a basket or a pouch to conveniently carry your personal items. Another welcomed feature of a Rollator is that it comes equipped with a comfortable seat so that when you’re going for a stroll, you can simply apply the brakes and take advantage of the seat for a rest. At our retail store in Woburn, Massachusetts, we welcome you to come in to speak with one of our knowledgeable sale’s associates about rollators. Careway Wellness Center, in addition to selling Rollators, also rents Rollators on a weekly or monthly basis. Call our rental department 781-933-2345, to rent a rollator.
How to select a rollator:
- Do not make up your mind about the style and cost of the rollator until you have had an opportunity to view the many styles and features available. This is good advice because you will be faced with a large number of variables when it comes to purchasing a rollator.
- Appraise both the four wheel and three wheel options.
- The four wheel option is the more popular of the two because it is capable of being outfitted with a seat so that the user can sit and rest if necessary. A four wheel rollator is heavier and a bit more difficult to collapse than a three wheel rollator.
- The three wheel option, although less popular, has the advantage of being lighter in weight and has a tighter turning radius than four wheel rollators, which can be important when using the rollator inside a house with tight spaces and narrow hallways. Another factor is the ease at which the rollator can be collapsed to fit into an automobile’s trunk or back seat.
- The styling features of the rollator will most likely play a part in the selection. Rollators come in a variety of colors and styles and it is important that the person using the rollator is comfortable with the overall appearance before deciding to purchase.
How to measure for a rollator:
It is important to take several measurements when purchasing a rollator.
- First measure the handle height.
- With shoes on, stand up straight and measure from the wrist to the floor. This should be approximately the height of the handle bars of the rollator you are considering to purchase.
- If you are going to be using your rollator in a home or office, it is important to know the measurements of the smallest openings that you will have to travel through, and then confirm that the rollator will fit through these small openings. An example would be a restricted sized hallway or doorway.
Rollators offer a variety of features and accessories to choose from. The most common features are found below:
- Different wheel sizes
- Padded seat
- Basket or flexible pouch
- Cup and other accessory holders
- Curved or straight backrests
- Weight and ease of foldability
Watch the video for a quick glimpse of rollator features-